Sunday, November 2, 2008

One lie leads to another ......

The phrase one lie leads to another is so true. In relationships, people often lie to be in the good books of their partner. They fear that by being their true self, they would not be accepted. Some also lie to cover up their wrong doings in the relationship. Normally, this lying phase happens at the start of a relationship when the impression matters. Unfortunately, the lies that are told then tend to surface somewhere in the middle of the relationship which most of the time leads to a painful cheated feeling or a break up.

I am not perfect. Hence, I’ll admit that I lied to her at the beginning of our relationship. The reason I lied was because of the fear of losing her to another person. I wanted to know badly where I stood in her life. Hence I used the trust of having her email password to read three of her mails. She somehow knew I read her mails but acted as if she didn’t know about it. I felt guilty but I knew I couldn’t tell her the truth then, as this will end the trust she had on me. I kept silent hoping that one day our relationship would grow strong enough so that I could tell her this lie and she would understand the reason I lied.

Unfortunately, four days ago I told her another lie. I had promised on her that my statement was true when it was not. Again, the reason I lied was because we had a fight that morning and she didn’t want me to speak to her ever. I didn’t know what to do then, so I lied to her hoping things would solve. The lie managed to calm things down. However, I felt very guilty the whole day. On the way back from work, I went to a temple nearby asking for god’s forgiveness and guidance. I realize then that I needed to tell her the truth or it will be unfair to her and the trust that she has on me.

That night when we talked, I told her that I lied in the morning. She became really upset and started thinking that all I did for her before was a lie. She felt that she was an idiot to believe me all this time. It seems like the trust she had on me crumbled at that instant. The worst part was two days later; I accidentally blatted the email lie to her. This was like rubbing salt into her wounds. I believe that she no longer trust me now. Well when the trust is lost, then at that instant the love is lost. Our relationship will never be the same because of these lies that I had told her.

Well, I learnt a good lesson the painful way. I hope she will forgive me, as I wish to be truthful to her from now on. I know to regain her trust will never be easy. However, I will try my best as these very lies were told so that I could be with her forever. If you are in a relationship and your partner lied to you, think of the reason of their dishonesty before scolding them. If the reason for the lie was to be closer to you, scold them but do not lose them with your words.Remember, lying is bad but a liar needs to have a motive to lie and why can’t love be that motive.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

nice one..but..if one lies, i believe its to save him/herself .. not the relationship..its better if u cud tell the truth..u might quarrel but the trust wud stay strong..the main root of relationship is based on trust and love..wen the trust weakens..den its a very hardtime for relationship.. like u said, think of their reason to lie b4 scolding, but its better for the person to think b4 they lie so it wont lead to anythin worse:)